In the past few years, the impact of social media on our everyday lives has been immense. People like to capture every special moment of their lives and display it on social media. Parents, who live far away from their children, stay connected to them with the help of social media. Many people also showcase their talent or conduct business over social media. If something is bothering you or you are happy about something, and you want your message to be spread amongst a large number of people, social media like facebook or twitter is an effective platform. It is also useful for students. If you are a student and have missed your classes, you can exchange your class work with your friends with the help of social media. Social media also keep you updated about the happenings all around the world.
But Social media is not about sugar and spice and everything nice. Just like two sides of a coin, apart from having so many advantages, social media has many disadvantages too. In this article, we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of social media.
How Is Social Media Advantageous?
- Social media helps people, living far away, to connect with each other. If you and your family are living far away from each other, you can stay connected with the help of social media. Social media has made expressing ideas easier.
- Social media has many tutorials which are easy to learn from. Anyone, who is an expert in a certain thing, can just upload a tutorial video on social media so that millions of people, both known and unknown, can learn from it. You do not have to pay for these tutorials or go to a professional asking for help. No matter in which corner of the world you are, you have access to these tutorials.
- Social media helps you to reach out to a large number of people. If you are in need of something or you need some advice on a certain thing, you can just post it on social media. This will make your issue available to a wide range of people who can help you out.
- Another advantage of social media is that it keeps you updated about the happenings all over the world. So, if you don’t have time to go through the newspaper, no problem. Just stay tuned to social media, and you will be able to keep yourself updated. Social media, unlike television and newspapers, gives you unbiased news.
- Social media is a great place where you can showcase your talents and earn recognition. Many people also conduct their business over social media. Hence, social media also helps you earn fame and money!
- If you want to create awareness about something amongst a huge mass of people, you can do this with the help of social media.
- Social media is also useful for promotional activities. You can promote your new business via social media. Similarly, just as it can build the reputation of your business, it can also ruin the name of your business. So every step should be taken very carefully.
- If you are doing some noble work and want people to join you and help you in different ways like raising funds, you can seek help from social media.
- Another advantage of social media is Government can spy on antisocial activities through social media.
Disadvantages Of Social Media
Teenagers are addicted to social media and often tend to misuse it. Mentioned below are some of the threatening effects of social media.
- Cyberbullying is something we come across every alternate day. Many children and teenagers have been victims of cyberbullying in the past few years. These days, rivalries become so personal that children leave no stone unturned to demean each other. So fake messages, rumors, and threats are sent over social media which leads to chaos.
- With the advancement of technology, invading someone’s privacy has become very easy. Hacking can make one’s data available to the hacker. This can cause serious financial loss or a loss of reputation. Several such cases have been reported in the past few years. This can seriously affect the victim’s personal life.
- Teenagers are addicted to social media. They stick to social media and waste their time which they could have utilized doing something productive.
- People tend to believe everything that is posted on social media. Putting up obnoxious stories about an individual can ruin his reputation.
- There are several cases of fraud and cheats are found occurring through social media. Some fraudsters con innocent people and take money from them, and in return, they don’t provide the service they promised to.
- Social media can also lead to loss of life. There are many bizarre challenges and games on social media which are life-threatening. Teenagers, to be at par with their peers, give into such challenges and end up losing their lives.
- Excessive use of social media makes a person lazy and gives rise to several health issues. It affects your eyes and causes headaches. The rays emitted by electronic gadgets can also have a long-term effect on your health.
Here is a list of some of the advantages and disadvantages of social media. If used wisely, social media will prove to be extremely helpful to you. If not, it can hurt your life.